Saturday, July 9, 2011

Natalie's first haircut experience

It took me a while to accept the fact that Natalie needed a haircut. I always had the urge but never the courage. After reviewing many children hair salons, I was more worrisome. I read numerous traumatic stories of upset mothers criticizing the hairstylist for not listening. Many mothers were dissatisfied with their children's first haircut. I was afraid I would be one of those mommies. I contemplated taking Natalie for her first haircut for months. I initially wanted to get her haircut before our wedding but the thought of me getting disappointed and going beserk would not be good. I didn't want to add on more stress to my mind at that time. So, I waited.
A few weeks after our wedding, we went on a road trip down south to attend my cousin's baby shower and visit my brother. That's where I finally made my decision that Natalie was going to get a haircut. Well, with the help of my brother. He said she looked like a "Hanson Brother." Right there and then, I was convinced. What better place to get a haircut then in LA right?!?! I took her to First Cuts; a children's hair salon. I was impressed with the design and decor of the salon. It was so kid-friendly. They had toys and flat screen TVs to distract children from being nervous and fearful of haircuts. It gave a good impression. I'm sure Natalie was just as bit as excited as I was, so I thought. As soon as we sat down in the waiting area, Natalie ran to the toys. And when we finally sat her down on the chair, she looked a little apprehensive on what was going to happen next. As soon as she saw the hairstylist approaching to begin her haircut, she started crying. Ryan and I couldn't get her to stop. We tried giving her more toys, turned on the TV and even gave her a lollipop but nothing worked. She was still crying her eyes out. I had no choice but to hold her head as she sat on Ryan's lap. She cried the entire time. I was concern the hairstylist would have a hard time finishing the haircut but she was experienced, professional and very patient. The haircut turned out perfect! I couldn't be more pleased! It was exactly how I imagined it to be. I loved her haircut. It took a while to adjust to her bangs but she totally rocked it! Yay for First Cuts!